Nordicity is Hiring in Ottawa and Toronto!
Posted by Julie Whelan in Toronto and Ottawa on Jan 18, 2016
Nordicity is one of Canada’s leading strategy-consulting firms for clients in the media/entertainment, cultural and communications sectors. Working in both the private and public spheres, Nordicity provides key industry analysis for business and government alike. While we we’re over 30 years old with the experience and security that longevity brings, we’re also an entrepreneurial, dynamic start-up, with a keen focus on business development and innovation.
We are currently hiring for two roles - one based in Ottawa and the other in Toronto.
Nordicity is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Senior Analyst/Consultant (12-month contract)
Nordicity seeks a talented, motivated Senior Analyst/Consultant to join our growing team for a one-year contract with the potential to renew. This will be an appealing prospect for an individual who is keen to apply analytical and problem-solving skills to the issues currently facing the Canadian telecommunications, ICT, media and culture sectors. While the position is located in our Toronto office, the successful candidate would work with our four busy Nordicity offices, across three different time zones: Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, London [UK]. This role could be right for you if you've done it before or have the necessary project management skills to hit the ground running.
- Research client and industry issues using primary and secondary data gathering techniques: executive interviews, focus groups, surveys, Statistics Canada data, etc.;
- Analyze, research using quantitative methods to develop suitable problem-solving approaches and logical, organized conclusions;
- Write (at the highest standard) research results and develop client reports;
- Apply written English and French language skills to various corporate activities such as website updates, press releases and blog posts;
- Contribute to Nordicity’s knowledge base and business lines by researching industry data, networking and developing new methodologies and analytical approaches;
- Assist in the preparing business-development initiatives, responses to RFP and documents;
- Represent the firm on occasion (as part of a Nordicity team) at client meetings, conference calls, industry conferences, and other events.
- At least two years’ work experience in the ICT, media, and/or cultural industries. E.g., Experience with one or more other consulting firms and/or telecommunications, ICT, broadcasting; media, media companies and/or government departments and agencies and/or industry associations. Experience in both public and private sectors would be considered an asset;
- Proven client and project-management skills including managing to budget, scope and schedule;
- Strong understanding of business models, market and financial analysis including quantitative-analysis skills using Microsoft Excel;
- Demonstrated interpersonal and teamwork abilities including the abilities to multitask, motivate team members (both internal staff and outside associates), and manage a varied workload under pressure;
- Excellent written English and/or French language oral and writing skills. The ability to effectively communicate in French would be considered an asset as would knowledge of other languages;
- Commitment to delivering high-quality output to meet internal and external deadlines;
- Extremely high attention to detail in the analysis of research results, report writing and client relations;
- Ability to quickly assimilate and effectively utilize back office systems (time sheets, project management software, contact databases, etc.).
- Demonstrated project research, analysis and report-writing experience;
- Intermediate or Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint in particular), Google Docs, and similar cloud-based services;
- Experience working with survey software such as FluidSurveys and analyzing survey data would be considered a strong asset.
- A university degree in business, economics, arts management, design thinking, communications, engineering, or other relevant discipline. Masters-level studies and/or combination of undergraduate disciplines would be considered an asset.
Reply in confidence: If your experience reflects the above qualifications and skills, please forward a covering email, including salary expectations and your CV in word.doc or PDF format, by 5:00 PM (EST) Monday, Jan 25th, 2016, to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Consultant” – in the subject header line. Nordicity is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates for their submissions but only those under consideration will be contacted.
Compensation: This is a temporary (12-months with potential to renew), full-time mid-management role with benefits; salary is commensurate with experience.
Senior Manager of Technology, Nordicity, Ottawa
Nordicity now has an opportunity for a talented and motivated individual to join their dynamic team as Senior Manager of Technology. This position is an appealing opportunity for an individual keen to apply their industry-leading analytical, problem-solving and project management skills to the issues currently facing the Canadian telecommunications, ICT, media and culture sectors, with opportunities to expand Nordicity’s practice in domestic and global markets. The position is located in their Ottawa office and the successful candidate would work with all four busy Nordicity offices, across three different time zones: Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, London [UK].
The successful candidate will contribute to projects across a wide range of sectors (telecom, ICT, broadcasting, media, and others) and will be encouraged to develop a practice leveraging cross-functional expertise and experience in technology, business and regulatory issues. Applicants should demonstrate a proven ability to interact with upper management across a wide range of clients and functional expertise (engineering, strategic planning, finance) on various technical and business subjects. Responsibilities areas include:
- Continuously tracking target clients’ current and future needs, maintaining a network of industry contacts and mapping the latest technological and regulatory trends to new business opportunities.
- Increasing corporate visibility by representing Nordicity on conferences, panels, and participating in industry associations and committees.
- Develop innovative analytical frameworks for decision-making by clients on a standalone basis or in partnership with academic researchers and other consultancies.
- Develop skill sets of internal Nordicity staff as well as external subject matter experts as a roster of senior associates.
- Lead proposal teams in developing written submissions and oral presentations to prospective clients - in a sole-sourced or competitive selection processes
Project Delivery & Project Management
- Identify best and most cost-effective problem-solving approaches; define methodologies and approaches; develop and synthetize logical, organized conclusions and solutions.
- Develop project tasks, deliverables, budget and schedules; lead and deliver technical aspects of projects.
- Write client reports in a clear and concise fashion.
- In the range of 10 years’ experience applying strategic, financial, technical, market, policy analysis techniques and reporting.
- Minimum undergraduate degree: Engineering or IT (focus on telecommunications preferred; However, candidates with a degree in business, finance, economics or other discipline who can demonstrate a strong telecoms technology focus and business experience in their career would also be considered; Master’s degree will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ‘hands on’ experience in successful execution of complete business cycles: developing lines of business, initiating client contacts, delivering services to client.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multi-member project teams, with proven project-management and teamwork abilities.
- Relevant experience in the target industries/sectors and functional areas cited above considered an asset.
- Experience in wireline, wireless or ICT areas related to projects such as broadband connectivity needs or market assessment and high-level network design will be highly desirable.
- Experience related to business aspects in telecommunications (e.g., business planning; spectrum management; spectrum valuation; technological assessment and business impact of using of different solutions).
- Regulatory experience or ability to understand different regulatory regimes and issues will be considered an asset.
Required Skills & Qualities:
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
- Ability to understand the underlying dynamic of client requests with high degree of interpersonal skills.
- Extremely comfortable and proactive with face-to-face meetings, advising clients on business and technology strategies.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to identify the most appropriate approach to a given problem.
- Excellent written English and ability to organize and convey ideas clearly in proposals, reports and client presentations. Ability to convert research and analysis into logical, valuable client reports and presentations.
- Commitment to delivering high-quality output.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work on concurrent projects, dealing with a range of subject matters.
- Ability to manage upwards and downwards and work well under pressure, managing internal & external teams through project cycles.
- Full fluency in major business applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Knowledge of MS Project will be considered an asset.
- Use of mapping tools (GIS packages) will be considered an asset.
- Effective French language skills will be considered an asset.
- Proficiency in business modeling using different software packages (e.g. Excel, SPSS, Stata etc.) will also be considered an asset.
Compensation Package: An attractive compensation package based on competitive base line salary, plus performance bonus. Health and dental benefits are included.
Reply in confidence: If this is a business challenge you would enjoy, forward a covering email and CV, to: email@example.com, with “Senior Manager of Technology” in the subject header. We thank all candidates for their submissions, however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Nordicity is an equal opportunity employer.
|We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.